Mazda Produces One-Millionth Mazda MX-5
Mazda Motor Corporation announced today that production of the Mazda MX-5 (Mazda Roadster in Japan) reached one million units on April 22, 2016. The milestone figure was achieved over 27 years, with mass-production of the MX-5 starting at Ujina Plant No. 1 in Hiroshima in April 1989.
“From the first generation through to today’s fourth-generation model, the reason we have been able to continue selling the MX-5 all these years is due to the strong support of fans around the world,” said Masamichi Kogai, Representative Director, President and CEO. “Mazda was founded in Hiroshima 96 years ago, and as we move toward our centennial year we will continue offering customers the joy of driving with this model, which has become a symbol of our brand. Mazda aims to create a special bond with customers and become a ‘one-and-only’ brand they will choose again and again.”
As a way of expressing thanks to MX-5 fans and owners, the One-Millionth MX-5 will be displayed at fan events in Japan and around the world. The tour begins on May 3 at the Hiroshima Flower Festival where the car will participate in the Flower Parade.
The MX-5 is a symbol of Mazda’s car-making philosophy and tireless pursuit of driving pleasure. Since its debut in 1989, the model has consistently offered driving fun that can only be experienced in a lightweight sports car and won the admiration of people from various countries, cultures and age groups. The MX-5 is also critically acclaimed, with over 200 awards from around the globe to its name. The fourth-generation model released last year has won a string of awards, including 2015-2016 Car of the Year Japan, World Car of the Year and World Car Design of the Year 2016.
The MX-5 has held the Guinness World Record*1 for the best-selling open-top two-seater sports car for many years. With the achievement of one million units of production, Mazda will now attempt to break its own record.
History of the Mazda MX-5
- Feb 1989 Original MX-5 debuts at Chicago Auto Show
- Oct 1997 Second-generation MX-5 debuts at Tokyo Motor Show
- Dec 1998 10th Anniversary Limited Edition MX-5 launched
- May 2000 Recognized by Guinness World Records as the world’s best-selling two-seater sports car (531,890 units produced)
- Jan 2002 Production reaches 600,000 units (Guinness World Record updated)
- Mar 2005 Third-generation MX-5 debuts at Geneva International Motor Show
- Apr 2005 Production reaches 700,000 units (Guinness World Record updated)
- Jul 2006 Retractable hardtop model debuts at British International Motor Show
- Jan 2007 Production reaches 800,000 units (Guinness World Record updated)
- Jul 2009 20th Anniversary Limited Edition MX-5 launched
- Feb 2011 Production reaches 900,000 units (Guinness World Record updated)
- Apr 2014 25th Anniversary Edition MX-5 launched
- Sep 2014 Fourth-generation MX-5 debuts
- Mar 2016 Mazda MX-5 RF debuts at New York International Auto Show