Isuzu D-Max Arctic AT35
The Most Extreme D-Max Ever Sold
Isuzu is launching the most extreme D-Max to bolster its already comprehensive model line-up. The new Isuzu D-Max Arctic Trucks AT35 is engineered to excel in the most arduous terrain, whether in the wilds of the British countryside or on building sites in the city. Available in either double-cab or extended-cab configurations, the AT35 is the most extraordinarily capable pick-up that Isuzu UK has ever put on sale. It is priced from £30,995.
Standing out from the crowd in terms of both its unprecedented off-road capabilities as well its aesthetics, the AT35 builds on the strong and durable platform of the multi-award winning D-Max. In addition to the high levels of standard equipment, a comprehensive accessories list allows customers to spec their AT35 according to their unique requirements.
Arctic Trucks is a vehicle engineering specialist, developing and building 4×4 vehicles able to conquer the most challenging conditions for over 25 years. The Isuzu D-Max Arctic Trucks AT35 will be the first Arctic Trucks pick-up in the UK that can be ordered directly from a vehicle manufacturer’s dealer network.
The AT35 retains the impressive one-tonne payload and 3.5-tonne towing (braked) capacities that have helped keep the Isuzu D-Max one of the most popular pick-ups for those seeking an exceptional workhorse with low running costs.
Enhanced running gear
The AT35 introduces several key hardware enhancements, ensuring extraordinary off-road capability that is unprecedented in the UK. Suspension is re-engineered with Fox Performance Series shocks, which help deliver increased mobility over even the most rutted tracks and brutal boulders.
Special all-terrain Nokian Rotiiva AT tyres endow the AT35 with improved all-round grip in the most challenging, slippery conditions. These huge 35-inch tyres are specifically engineered for off-road surfaces, with the rubber fitted to 17”x10” wheels, considerably larger than the standard D-Max. The vehicle accommodates larger diameter tyres and boasts wider extended flares, giving the AT35 a securely planted and powerful look.
The combined effect of Arctic Trucks specialised suspension and larger tyres is a ride height 125mm higher than the equivalent standard 4×4 Isuzu D-Max. With the increased ground clearance comes greater approach, departure and break-over angles, capable of tackling the harsh Icelandic terrain or the steep slate slopes of Wales. In addition, drivers and passengers will benefit from improved all-round visibility, a great advantage for identifying the safest route to an ultimate destination, whether that’s across ice fields in Norway or icy moors of north Yorkshire.
Two body configurations
The AT35 is available in double-cab and extended-cab configurations.
The extended-cab body was designed from the ground up as an ‘open-cab’ pick-up. To create this space-making design, Isuzu’s engineers developed a second-row, rear-hinged door, also known as the side-access panel (SAP) on each side of the vehicle. To ensure maximum strength, and safety in the event of a collision, the engineers incorporated a one-piece B-pillar into the leading edge of the side access panels.
The result is uninterrupted access to the side of the cabin, ideal when loading large items behind the front seats. The side access panels can be opened from both inside and outside the vehicle. The rear seat cushions fold down from the back panel, creating additional seating, with fold-out thigh supports offering occupants even greater levels of comfort.
Comprehensive standard equipment
While the AT35 can haul more than a tonne of on-board cargo and up to 3.5 tonnes in a braked trailer (where the terrain allows) – just as its D-Max stablemates can – as well as traverse more extreme topography than ever before, passengers remain as well catered for as ever in the refined and well-appointed premium D-Max interior.
Just as the interior shields occupants from potentially harsh and hazardous conditions outside, it provides entertainment with a six-speaker audio package with an ‘Exciter’ speaker in the roof lining, plus iPod/USB/Bluetooth connectivity to provide high-quality sound. Comfort is assured thanks to heated and folding door mirrors (including side indicator repeaters) and a leather steering wheel with audio and cruise controls provides additional safety and convenience.
The double-cab model also includes full leather upholstery for an even more luxurious interior, as well as automatic climate control air-conditioning. This is controlled by a large, circular Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) selector located on the cabin’s centre console, which allows occupants to control temperature and fan settings with a single dial. The system automatically maintains the set temperature for optimal passenger comfort.
Exterior standard features include projector headlamps, body-coloured front bumper, chrome door handles and chrome grille and chrome rear bumper, LED rear lights and a rear load liner. The double-cab model also adds roof bars and rear parking sensors for further increased practicality.
Buyers will have the opportunity to choose from a range of optional accessories to further enhance the interior, the practical functionality and the visual impact of the AT35.
Styling upgrades include an Arctic Trucks Truxedo that provides added security for cargo in the load bed, as well as the Arctic Trucks Sports Bar for improved styling.
Furthermore, off-road extras such as a 27-LED square work light can provide widespread illumination under the darkest skies, skid plates provide enhanced under-body protection, and an ARB tyre inflator with inline gauge help the most adventurous continue on their way.
Customers opting for the double cab AT35 can also upgrade their infotainment system with the Pioneer AVIC-F860BT audio set-up, DVD and European navigational system with 6.1-inch touch screen, reversing camera and Parrot Bluetooth kit for wireless telephony and music streaming.
Strong chassis, powerful engine, manual and auto transmissions
The AT35 is based on the same tough and durable chassis of the Isuzu D-Max chassis. It is made of high tensile strength steel with cross-member braces to ensure exceptional torsional rigidity and large cross-sectional dimensions for a strong and stable structure. Additional cross braces aid torsional rigidity and also spread the weight of payloads evenly, enhancing the vehicle’s laden handling balance, both on- and off-road.
Under the bonnet of the D-Max Arctic Trucks AT35 is the highly-efficient 2.5-litre twin-turbo diesel engine that delivers 163 PS and 400 Nm torque for all models in the D-Max line-up.
Isuzu offers the largest range of automatic pick-up models on the market and buyers of the double-cab AT35 can also select auto transmission. The five-speed automatic features sequential manual shift control so that drivers can take direct control of gear selection for a more engaging experience – or allow the transmission to operate fully automatically to suit their mood and the terrain.
A shift-on-the-fly two- /four- / low-ratio four-wheel drive selector dial is located on the centre console. The system allows drivers to switch between two-wheel drive and high-ratio four-wheel drive at speeds up to 60 mph (100 km/h). Low-ratio four-wheel-drive can be engaged while stationary with the transmission in neutral, and, combined with other Arctic Trucks enhancements, means the AT35 can crawl up and over almost anything it finds itself in front of.
Low running costs
Despite being the most capable pick-up ever to be launched onto the UK market, buyers and operators will benefit from the same ultra-low running costs that all Isuzu D-Max owners enjoy. This is thanks to a competitive 42E insurance rating, low-cost finance packages and a comprehensive three-year / 60,000 mile warranty package. In addition, costs are kept low by 12,000-mile or 24-month service intervals, three years recovery and assistance cover, a three-year paint warranty, and a six-year anti-corrosion warranty.
Unprecedented success of AT35’s Isuzu D-Max lineage
Isuzu UK repeatedly breaks its own sales records, with 6,220 vehicle registrations in 2015 – up 13% compared to the previous year. This record performance represents the sixth year of sales growth and the third consecutive annual sales record for the brand in the UK, marking a 478% improvement over the 1,076 vehicles registered in 2009. This dramatic and sustained rise in deliveries can be attributed to the appeal of the multi-award winning D-Max pick-up, launched in the summer of 2012 and now available in six trim levels. Isuzu UK’s success has resulted in the UK becoming the company’s number one market in Europe.
Isuzu’s sustained and impressive growth in the UK is representative of the global successes achieved by the brand year after year, all of which is founded on a rich history of accolades and world-first accomplishments. This year Isuzu is proud to be celebrating its centenary, marking 100 years since the company set up operations in Tokyo, Japan.
- Isuzu D-Max Arctic Trucks AT35 Extended-cab (six-speed manual) £30,995
- Isuzu D-Max Arctic Trucks AT35 Double-cab (six-speed manual) £33,495
- Isuzu D-Max Arctic Trucks AT35 Double-cab (five-speed auto) £34,495
Isuzu D-Max Arctic Trucks AT35 specification
Standard equipment is as follows:
- Fender Flares, front & rear
- 17”x10” wheels
- Extended Profile AT Side Steps
- Fox dampers, front & rear
- 315/70 R17 Nokian Rotiiva AT tyres
- Integrated fuel filler cap
- Daytime running lights
- Chrome front grille and rear bumper
- LED rear lights
- Roof bars (double-cab only)
- Body-colour front bumper
- Rear parking distance sensor (double-cab only)
- Projector headlamps
- Receiver Hitch
- Folding heated chrome door mirrors with side-indicator repeaters
Optional exterior extras – exterior styling:
- Arctic Trucks sports bar (black or silver)
- Arctic Trucks Truxedo Double-cab/Extended-cab
- 4.5-inch Vision X LED cannon
- 6.7-inch Vision X LED 9 diode lamp (black or chrome)
- 6.7-inch Vision X LED 18 diode lamp (black or chrome)
Optional exterior extras – off-road:
- 27 LED square work light with Arctic Trucks logo
- Skid plate under radiator/engine
- Skid plate under engine/gearbox
- ARB inflator with gauge
- Pump up emergency inflation kit
Paint finishes available:
Splash White, Titanium Silver Met, Mineral Grey Met, Tundra Green Mica, Venetian Red Mica, Nautilus Blue Mica, Cosmic Black Mica
Safety and security
- Front, side and curtain airbags
- Driver and passenger reading lights
- Height-adjustable driver’s seat
- Heated front seats
- Height adjustable steering wheel
- Leather steering wheel with audio and cruise control function
- Rear heating ducts
- Automatic climate control (double-cab only)
- Front electric windows
- Rear electric windows
- Height-adjustable front headrests
- Courtesy light delay function
- Aluminium Scuff Plates
- Leather upholstery (double-cab only)
- Electrically Adjustable
- Driver’s Seat (double-cab only)
- Heated Front Seats (double-cab only)
In car entertainment system:
- RDS radio/single CD with iPod-USB-Bluetooth
- Six speakers with roof-mounted Exciter speaker
Optional extras(double-cab only):
- Pioneer AVIC-F860BT fully integrated audio system
- DVD and navigation system with 6.1-inch touch screen
- European map coverage and traffic info
- Parrot Bluetooth wireless telephony and music streaming (limited availability)
- Reversing camera
Isuzu D-Max Arctic Trucks AT35 technical specification
Body and chassis
Four-door, five-seater double-cab or four-seater extended-cab pick-up, with all-steel body. Longitudinally-mounted diesel engine driving rear (or front and rear) wheels via ‘on demand’ part-time four-wheel-drive system and a five-speed automatic or six-speed manual transmission.
- Engine 2.5-litre / 163 PS (120 kW) diesel
- Type DOHC, in-line four
- Capacity 2.5-litres, 2,499 cc
- Bore and stroke 95.4 x 87.4 mm
- Compression ratio 17:1
- Max power 163 PS @ 3,600 rpm
- Max torque 400 Nm @ 1,400-2,000 rpm
- Valves 16 (four-per-cylinder)
- Fuel system CRDi, common-rail, high-pressure, direct-injection two-stage turbo
- Construction Cast iron cylinder block and aluminium head
- Emissions class Euro Stage5
- Switchable rear-wheel-drive / all-wheel-drive, selectable electronically
- Type Hydraulic power-assisted rack and pinion
- Turning circle 12.2 metres
Wheels and tyres
- Standard 17×10 alloy wheels and 315/70 R17 Nokian Rotiiva AT tyres
Transmission gear ratios
- 4×4 double-cab 5-speed auto
- 1 – 3.52; 2 – 2.042; 3 – 1.400; 4 – 1.000; 5 – 0.716; Reverse – 3.224
Final Drive – 3.727
- 4×4 double-cab/extended-cab 6-speed manual
- 1.5.232; 2 – 2.644; 3 – 1.606; 4 – 1.219; 5 – 1.000; 6 – 0.728; Reverse – 4.525;
- Final Drive – 3.071
- Overall length 5,295
- Overall height 1,930**
- Front overhang 905
- Ground clearance 290 Overall width* 2,000
- Wheelbase 3,095
- Rear overhang 1,295
Approach angle 36.0 deg
Ramp angle 32.0 deg Departure angle 23.0 deg
*excluding door mirrors, **excluding roof rails
Capacities and weights
- Fuel tank 69 litres
- Load bay (LWH) Double-cab: 1,485 x 1,530 x 465 mm
- Extended-cab: 1,795 x 1,530 x 465 mm
- Kerb weight Double-cab: 2,105 kg (manual) 2,110 kg (auto)
- Towing (max) 3,500 kg (braked trailer) 750 kg (unbraked)
- Payload (max) Double-cab: 1,055 kg (manual) 1,050 kg (auto)